Thursday, July 9, 2009

Monitized Content

I used to have a blogspot account, but haven't touched it in a while. So I wasn't watching when Google added a "monetize" tab to the site. As a free content management system, that's pretty remarkable.

I prefer to use WordPress as a more flexible platform, but for the ability to generate income, with wordpress, you have to spend money to make money. By that I mean you have to pay to load the wordpress software onto a hosted account in order to use that software to monetize the site.

I tried to use a free WordPress site to promote a home business and to add click-thru ads. WordPress terms of service don't let you make money with the free site. And since Wordpress connected 4 different blogs to the same email address, when they blew away my blogs for "violation of terms of service," they terminated all 4 in the same night. I couldn't get to the content, couldn't argue the point, couldn't complain. It was done and all that writing was gone.

But Google makes money by selling ads. I've got an AdWords account, and pay to advertise clickbank products. Now that I have a Google-based Blogger account, I see where that content goes. Google will charge me out of one pocket, and then pay me some of that money back if my ads show up on my site as part of Google AdSense.

I'm guessing that if Google is that open to advertising, they'll let me advertise other things, even my own content. I'll give it a try in a future post.

(If you've made cash using your site this way, what worked best? I want to know! I've got orthodontia to pay off and am looking at college tuition coming real soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment